The Tour of Margaret is a great team event that you can either take seriously or just set a new PB. The Tour of Margaret
The Tour of Margaret is a great team event that you can either take seriously or just set a new PB.
The Tour of Margaret River is a multi-day, multi-stage road cycle race for both male and female professional and amateur cyclists, that is held in the Margaret River, a 4 hour drive south of Perth. This is a popular tourist destination and is a beautiful place to visit.
There are 5 stages over 3 days:
- Gold Rush – Team Time Trial. A 27km 375m ride that starts and finishes at Nannup. This has one major climb and a great rolling descent back into town.
- Super Saturday – Road Race. A 99km 1245m road race is a day of endurance with an undulating fast course, from Manjimup to French’s Orchard on Channybearup Road.
- Southern Forests Flyer – Team Time Trial. A 28km 460m ride that follows the Super Saturday morning ride. Don’t forget to save some energy from the mornings ride as this will be a short, sharp and fast ride that is sure to deplete your energy.
- Roaring Forties – Road Race. A 40km 457m race that follows the Blackwood River. You won’t have time to enjoy the view due to the pace of the race.
- The Cathedral – Team Time Trial. A 41km 446m ride that follows the Roaring Forties morning ride. This is a hard but good ride in reverse as you head back into Nannup.
The unique Pro-Am format of the Tour means that amateur cyclists can compete with riders from the Pro Tour across some of the most spectacular stages that Australia has to offer. Designed especially for teams, the Tour of Margaret River is a highly tactical race where competitors are allocated points in a way specific to each stage. Simply put, there is no other race on the world cycling calendar quite like TOMR.
With over 100 teams participating annually, the Tour of Margaret River is one of the largest competitive road cycling events in Australia, with a large representation of female cyclists. Teams are seeded into divisions via the stage 1 Team Time Trial, and teams compete for trophies and awards within their division of 60 racers. categories include open, mixed, all-women and participation.
You’ll need a Cycling Australia day membership to participate in this cycling event.
This is a fantastic event to attend, with many teams turning up just to participate and for the challenge!
You’ll find other great cycling events, like the Tour of Margaret River, in our online Cycling Event Calendar.