03OctAll DayAround the BayAustralia's largest iconic cycle event!MelbourneState:VICDiscipline:family friendly,RoadTerrain:Flat,Mixed,UndulatingDistance:1-40 km,121-160 km,160+ km,41-80 km,81-120 kmType Ride:Century,Charity,Gran-fondo,Recreational,Ultra
Around the Bay in Melbourne has a ride to suit everyone! Regardless of ability! Around the Bay is an iconic ride which has
Around the Bay in Melbourne has a ride to suit everyone! Regardless of ability!
Around the Bay is an iconic ride which has the reputation of being Australia’s largest ride with over 10, 000 people riding in it.
This year you can choose from six ride options, ranging from 20km to the full 300km loop and explore Melbourne’s iconic Port Phillip Bay by bike. With closed roads and full on-route support there’s something for bike riders of all levels to enjoy.
The distances range from:
- 20km family ride where you can soak up some of Melbourne’s most iconic sights with friends and family on fully closed roads.
- 50km iconic ride which is the perfect opportunity to ride over the iconic West Gate Bridge to Williamstown and back.
- 100km ride over the West Gate Bridge to Williamstown and back before rolling on Melbourne’s iconic Beach Road.
- 200km cycling staple where the return ride takes in the best of the Mornington Penninsula on the way to Sorrento, before rolling back to Melbourne via Beach road.
- 210km The Classic ride around the bay in a day where you can trace the outline of Melbourne’s Port Philip Bay, hop on the ferry to Sorrento and return to Albert Park via Melbourne’s iconic Beach Road on the classic 210km circuit.
- 300km challenge loop which will test the most seasoned riders while giving the full experience of Port Phillip Bay.
The 300km long ride was introduced in the year (2018) which is basically the 250km with some extra bits. That means climbing Arthurs seat and Red hill. It was limited to 500 riders and normally sells out quickly.
The original 210/250 km loops go anti-clockwise are the marquee rides of the Around the Bay.
Local knowledge might help with deciding which start location or direction you wish to ride. Why? The wind is the factor that can make or break you, especially in the open exposed country between Melbourne and Geelong, on the edge of the freeway. This can be hard work with no protection and you burning all your matches early into the ride.
Around the Bay raises money for The Smith Family, an Australian charity that helps disadvantaged children to succeed at school and to create better futures for themselves.
The weather in Melbourne at this time of year is in the middle of Spring. Temperatures can be variable, ranging from 0-5 degrees in the morning and rising to 20-25 during the day. The wind is more predictable than rain, ranging from 30 to 50km/h.
This is the original recreational ride!
You’ll find other great rides, like the Around the Bay, in our online Cycling Event Calendar.